The nursery program lays the foundation for children to develop at their own pace in their physical, emotional and social well-being. The environment of the classroom and outdoor playground are developed intentionally to be rich with beauty and wonder with sensory experiences that encourage awareness without excessive stimulation.
Teachers have received training in the Emmi Pikler approach to care-giving and Rudolph Steiner’s Waldorf approach to education. They develop a rhythmic schedule that supports the child’s natural internal rhythms; this provides the child a sense of peace and security in the group. The study of the Pikler approach to care-giving influences the intentionality of the teachers’ one-on-one moments throughout the day developing strong bonds of trust between the teachers and the children.
The curriculum allows for the child’s personal creative initiative to blossom as they bring their own ideas into free, open play.
Large and small motor skills, oral and receptive language, musical gifts, social awareness, love for the natural world and the beginnings of self-care abilities are some of the skill sets that the young children learn as they play and work amongst respectful and observant teachers.
The nursery is for children ages 18 months to 3 1/2 years with a class size of ten children, a lead-teacher and an assistant-teacher. Children may come in either 3 or 5 days a week, with options for full or half days. The three day option is Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Our nursery meets at 8.15 a.m. to 3.15 p.m. or 8.15 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. Depending on enrollment demand, there may be a limit of two spaces for our three-day nursery option.
- August 16, 2014
- Family Work Day9:00 am to 1:00 pmAn annual tradition, the Family Work Day is a great way to prepare the classrooms, school building and grounds for the start of the school year. They are also a great way to help ease the transition to school for your little ones. Join us. It's fun!
- August 24, 2014
- Family Work Day1:00 pm to 5:00 pm
- August 28, 2014
- New Family Orientation6:00 pm to 7:30 pmLearn about the school, its organization, the role of parents, and how you can prepare for the school year ahead. The meeting will be held in the Applied Arts Studio.
- September 3, 2014
- First Day of Grade School8:15 am to 9:15 am
- September 4, 2014
- Boo Hoo Breakfast8:00 am to 9:15 amThe first day of school is a rite of passage for all. Join fellow parents and share your first day experiences over coffee.