The nursery program lays the foundation for children to develop at their own pace in their physical, emotional and social well-being. The environment of the classroom and outdoor playground are developed intentionally to be rich with beauty and wonder with sensory experiences that encourage awareness without excessive stimulation.
Teachers have received training in the Emmi Pikler approach to care-giving and Rudolph Steiner’s Waldorf approach to education. They develop a rhythmic schedule that supports the child’s natural internal rhythms; this provides the child a sense of peace and security in the group. The study of the Pikler approach to care-giving influences the intentionality of the teachers’ one-on-one moments throughout the day developing strong bonds of trust between the teachers and the children.
The curriculum allows for the child’s personal creative initiative to blossom as they bring their own ideas into free, open play.
Large and small motor skills, oral and receptive language, musical gifts, social awareness, love for the natural world and the beginnings of self-care abilities are some of the skill sets that the young children learn as they play and work amongst respectful and observant teachers.
The nursery is for children ages 18 months to 3 1/2 years with a class size of ten children, a lead-teacher and an assistant-teacher. Children may come in either 3 or 5 days a week, with options for full or half days. The three day option is Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Our nursery meets at 8.15 a.m. to 3.15 p.m. or 8.15 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. Depending on enrollment demand, there may be a limit of two spaces for our three-day nursery option.
- October 25, 2014
- Fall Family Open House10:00 am to 12:00 pmOur Open Houses are the best way for the whole family to get to know us! Meet teachers, parents, alumni and current students. Enjoy freshly-baked Kindergarten bread, listen to teacher-talks, and more. Join in and let's have fun together! RSVP http://phillywaldorf.com/admissions/tours-and-events/#form
- November 1, 2014
- Fairmount Neighborhood Open House10:00 am to 12:00 pmNeighborhood Open Houses are hosted by a WSP family. Kindly register ahead of time
- November 6, 2014
- Classroom Observation Morning8:30 am to 10:30 amJourney with us through the early childhood classrooms. Cross the threshold into grade school. Observe teachers and students during periods of academic study and discover how the Waldorf School of Philadelphia can transform your idea of education. RSVP http://phillywaldorf.com/admissions/tours-and-events/#form
- November 7, 2014
- School Closed for Parent Teacher Conferences12:00 am to 12:00 am
- November 8, 2014
- Parent Teacher Conferences12:00 am to 12:00 am