The nursery program lays the foundation for children to develop at their own pace in their physical, emotional and social well-being. The environment of the classroom and outdoor playground are developed intentionally to be rich with beauty and wonder with sensory experiences that encourage awareness without excessive stimulation.
Teachers have received training in the Emmi Pikler approach to care-giving and Rudolph Steiner’s Waldorf approach to education. They develop a rhythmic schedule that supports the child’s natural internal rhythms; this provides the child a sense of peace and security in the group. The study of the Pikler approach to care-giving influences the intentionality of the teachers’ one-on-one moments throughout the day developing strong bonds of trust between the teachers and the children.
The curriculum allows for the child’s personal creative initiative to blossom as they bring their own ideas into free, open play.
Large and small motor skills, oral and receptive language, musical gifts, social awareness, love for the natural world and the beginnings of self-care abilities are some of the skill sets that the young children learn as they play and work amongst respectful and observant teachers.
The nursery is for children ages 18 months to 3 1/2 years with a class size of ten children, a lead-teacher and an assistant-teacher. Children may come in either 3 or 5 days a week, with options for full or half days. The three day option is Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Our nursery meets at 8.15 a.m. to 3.15 p.m. or 8.15 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. Depending on enrollment demand, there may be a limit of two spaces for our three-day nursery option.
- September 3, 2014
- First Day of Grade School12:00 am to 12:00 am
- September 4, 2014
- First Day of Early Childhood Program12:00 am to 12:00 am
- Boo Hoo Breakfast8:00 am to 9:15 amThe first day of school is a rite of passage for all. Join fellow parents and share your first day experiences over coffee.
- September 6, 2014
- Philly Honey Festival10:30 am to 4:00 amJoin The Waldorf School of Philadelphia at Wyck Historic House and Garden http://phillyhoneyfest.com
- September 8, 2014
- First Day of Three Day Early Childhood Program8:30 am to 9:30 am