The nursery program lays the foundation for children to develop at their own pace in their physical, emotional and social well-being. The environment of the classroom and outdoor playground are developed intentionally to be rich with beauty and wonder with sensory experiences that encourage awareness without excessive stimulation.
Teachers have received training in the Emmi Pikler approach to care-giving and Rudolph Steiner’s Waldorf approach to education. They develop a rhythmic schedule that supports the child’s natural internal rhythms; this provides the child a sense of peace and security in the group. The study of the Pikler approach to care-giving influences the intentionality of the teachers’ one-on-one moments throughout the day developing strong bonds of trust between the teachers and the children.
The curriculum allows for the child’s personal creative initiative to blossom as they bring their own ideas into free, open play.
Large and small motor skills, oral and receptive language, musical gifts, social awareness, love for the natural world and the beginnings of self-care abilities are some of the skill sets that the young children learn as they play and work amongst respectful and observant teachers.
The nursery is for children ages 18 months to 3 1/2 years with a class size of ten children, a lead-teacher and an assistant-teacher. Children may come in either 3 or 5 days a week, with options for full or half days. The three day option is Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Our nursery meets at 8.15 a.m. to 3.15 p.m. or 8.15 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. Depending on enrollment demand, there may be a limit of two spaces for our three-day nursery option.
- March 13, 2014
- Special Subjects Showcase2:00 pm to 3:00 pmJoin students of the 2nd and 4th Grades for their Special Subjects Showcase. Open to parents of 2nd & 4th graders only.
- March 15, 2014
- WSP Annual Spring Auction7:00 pm to 10:00 pmJoin us on Saturday, March 15 at The Brossman Center in Mt. Airy for a fun night of bidding on auction items, eating, drinking, dancing, and other merriment.
$40/person in advance; $50/person at-door. Get your tickets at
- March 19, 2014
- School Chair Meet 'N Greet8:30 am to 9:30 amJoin the conversation with Kerry Hoffman, School Chair, and her administration team colleagues. Bring questions, concerns or just come and enjoy coffee and conversation.
- March 20, 2014
- Special Subjects Showcase2:00 pm to 3:00 pmJoin students of the 1st and 3rd Grades for their Special Subjects Showcase. Open to parents of 1st and 3rd graders only.
- March 29, 2014
- Spring Open House10:00 am to 12:00 pmChildren are welcome and expected at our Family Open House. Discover how we support important first steps in our Parent-Toddler Program, teach independence in Kindergarten and imagine what's possible when children love to learn and don't want to miss a single day of school. Learn more about The Journey here - http://phillywaldorf.com/journey/