Student Support Services
Student Support Services
Waldorf Education aims to support the development of the whole child – head, hands, and heart. Core to our beliefs is that children develop and learn at different speeds, in different ways and that many encounter challenges along their academic journey. Sometimes children benefit from extra support. When the need arises, we strive to provide our students with supplementary learning support designed to meet their individual needs. The support program at the Waldorf School of Philadelphia includes some or all of the following:
- Developmental milestone review upon entry to first-grade entry
- Second and third grade literacy review
- Annual review of developmental and academic milestones
- Recommendations for further assessments, therapies, and remediation outside school by specialized professionals when necessary
- Small group math and reading instruction for 2nd-8th-grade students
- Ongoing support and consultation for class teachers through our Learning Support Coordinator (LSC)
- Individualized accommodation plans
- Upper grades math support
- High School entry support
- Therapeutic Eurythmy
The Waldorf School of Philadelphia partners with Elwyn to provide certified reading and math teachers who work collaboratively with our classroom teachers to support students through small group systematic instruction tailored to meet individual needs.
- Instruction is aligned to the Waldorf curriculum and informed by child development.
- Based on sound research and instructional best practices, including a multi-sensory approach to literacy.
- Built-in formative assessments, and progress monitoring guide lesson planning.
- Close communication between Elwyn and school staff ensures that students master classroom objectives.
- Parents receive periodic progress reports on student achievement.
Participation in Elwyn’s learning support services also helps to provide scaffolded instruction and guided practice activities that increase a student’s self-confidence and motivation to learn.
School Counselling Support
The Waldorf School of Philadelphia provides expert support for enrolled students struggling with behavioral, academic, social, emotional, and life skills issues through Elwyn’s credentialed, master’s level counselors. Elwyn’s counseling staff work closely with Waldorf teachers and when appropriate, parents in support of the students being served.